Employment law protections are more important than ever before.
Federal and California employment laws grant you rights such as:
- The right to fair pay;
- Freedom from discrimination based on sex, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, pregnancy, physical disabilities, mental disabilities, age, and race;
- Protection from wrongful termination based on political affiliation, physical or sexual harassment, or being a member of a protected class; and
- Protection from retaliation for exercising a legal right or acting as a whistleblower.
Even with the protection of numerous laws and regulations, many people continue to suffer at work. In 2019, California employees filed 22,584 complaints regarding discrimination, civil rights violations, and other violations before the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing agency. Thousands of other employees filed employment discrimination claims before the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
The Importance of Employment Laws
Now that you are a senior in high school or an undergraduate student in college, you are probably thinking about your career path. You might pursue a career that excites you, helps others, or is meaningful to you in some way. It is an exciting time in your life because the possibilities seem endless. No matter what career path you set your heart on, employment law will protect your rights to work and earn a living.
Defend Your Rights – Employment Law Scholarship Contest Overview
Our Orange County employment attorneys want to know what employment law will mean to you as you embark on your professional journey.
Accordingly, Corbett Williams will award one $1,000 scholarship award based on the best 300-500 word essay that addresses the following 2-part prompt:
- How has, or how will employment law protect you as an employee? and
- What area of employment law would you like to learn more about and why?
Applicants must be EITHER high school seniors who are accepted to a college or university OR undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a college or university as of the start of the Fall 2021 semester.
The application deadline is Wednesday, December 1, 2021.
When Will We Choose the Winner?
The winner will be announced no later than Wednesday, December 15, 2021.
How to Apply
Apply by clicking the button below and include the following:
- Contact information;
- Transcript or proof of enrollment; and
- Your essay.