These Helpful Tips Can Help You Find The Right Business Litigator
Finding just the right attorney can be difficult. Business owners may not know what to look for in an attorney or even what kind of lawyer they need. There are many different types of attorneys practicing law in a variety of settings and promising any number of services.
Commercial litigation attorneys work to settle any business-related dispute. They can help business owners address a variety of legal matters, including lawsuits, employee issues, partner disputes, contracts, and more.
Finding a California Business Litigator
There are a few reliable ways to find a reputable attorney. Some avenues include:
- State and local bar association referrals – Anyone looking to hire a lawyer can contact bar associations using its referral services. They will suggest some local attorneys who work in the area of the legal problem.
- Word of mouth – It is often helpful to contact an attorney that a personal friend or acquaintance has retained and has been happy with.
- Online search – An online search can return good results of local lawyers in the area of specialization business owners need.
- Local chamber of commerce – Local lawyers may be registered with the chamber of commerce, or commerce members may have experience with the type of lawyer needed.
- Business referrals – Ask other professionals. Business owners can ask their banker, insurance agent, real estate agent or other contacts who work in the area of interest.
No matter how highly recommended a lawyer may come, it is important to meet any potential attorney to learn more about how he operates, what he expects the costs will be and if he is a good fit personality-wise.
Interviewing Potential Attorneys
Many lawyers will offer a free, confidential consultation so they can learn more about a client and case, and potential clients can learn more about the attorney. These meetings are a chance to see if the partnership would be a good fit and make sure both sides would be comfortable with the arrangement. First, it is a good idea to communicate clearly exactly what kind of services that are needed. Then, ask any questions. It can be helpful to write the questions down, so as not to forget anything pertinent. Some good questions to consider include:
- Have you handled cases like mine? What is your track record?
- How will decisions be made about my case?
- Who will be handling my case?
- What will my responsibilities be as the client/plaintiff/defendant?
- What is your fee structure?
- How do you communicate with your clients?
- What would the next steps be?
If you are involved in a business dispute or are worried that one is imminent, the experienced Orange County business litigation attorney at the Law Offices of Corbett H. Williams can help. Call the office at 949-679-9909 or take a moment to fill out the online contact form for a prompt response.