Sexual harassment occurring in the workplace is a serious problem that can profoundly affect those who experience it. It is defined as unwelcome, non-consensual sexual advances, requests for favors that are sexual, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual tone. Sexual harassment can also affect an individual’s employment, interfere with an individual’s work performance, or create an intimidating, offensive, or hostile work environment.
For those who have experienced sexual harassment, it can be a difficult and emotionally charged experience. If you have been the victim of sexual harassment, you may be feeling scared, helpless, and alone. You may be worried about your job, reputation, and future. However, you are not alone, and there are ways you can get the compensation and support you need to recover from the experience.
The Law Offices of Corbett H. Williams is a Santa Ana, California-based law firm, and our harassment attorneys have the experience to represent employees who have been victims of sexual harassment in the workplace. We understand the sensitive and personal nature of these cases, and we are committed to protecting our clients’ rights. We have successfully represented many sexual harassment victims in Santa Ana and throughout Orange County, and we can help enforce employment law for you, too.
How Can Santa Ana Sexual Harassment Attorneys Help You?
If you’ve been the victim of sexual harassment, you may be wondering what you can do about it. You may be afraid to speak up, or you may not even be sure if what happened to you was harassment. There are several ways that a Santa Ana sexual harassment lawyer can help you:
- We can help you determine if what happened to you was harassment. There are many different types of conduct that can constitute harassment, and it is not always easy to tell if what happened to you falls into that category. An experienced attorney can review the facts of your case and give you an honest assessment of whether you have a claim.
- We can help you understand your legal rights and options. If you are the victim of harassment, you may be entitled to certain legal remedies, including damages. A knowledgeable attorney can explain your rights to you and help you decide what course of action is best for you.
- We can help you navigate the legal process. Filing a sexual harassment claim can be complex and confusing. An experienced lawyer can guide you through the process and help you avoid making any mistakes that could jeopardize your claim.
- We provide you with support and guidance throughout the process. This can be an emotionally challenging time, and you may feel like you are alone. A Santa Ana sexual harassment lawyer is there to support you and fight for your rights unquestionably.
What Are Some Examples of Sexual Harassment?
Sexual harassment can take many different forms. It can be verbal, physical, or visual, and it does not necessarily have to be directed at the victim. Some examples of a sexual harassment case include:
- Unwelcome sexual comments or jokes
- Obscene gestures or looks
- Showing sexually explicit images in the workplace
- Sexual propositions or advances
- Unwanted touching or grabbing
- Leering or staring
- Cornering or blocking someone’s path
- Making sexual threats
- Retaliating against someone who has reported or refused sexual advances
If you have been the victim of any of these types of conduct, you may have a claim for sexual harassment.
Why Do People Sexually Harass Others?
There is no single answer to this question. People engage in sexual harassment for a variety of reasons, including power, control, and gratification. In many cases, the harasser is someone in a position of authority over the victim, such as a supervisor or boss. This can make it difficult for the victim to speak up or take action. In other cases, the harasser may be someone who is not in a position of authority but who is seeking to control or harm the victim.
Regardless of the reason, sexual harassment is never acceptable. If you’ve experienced sexual harassment, you have the right to take legal action.
What Are the Consequences of Sexual Harassment?
Sexual harassment can have a profound effect on the victim. It can cause emotional distress, including anxiety, fear, and shame. It can also lead to physical health problems, such as sleep disorders and headaches. In some cases, sexual harassment can even lead to post-traumatic stress disorder. In addition, victims of sexual harassment may suffer professionally, including lost opportunities for advancement and reduced job satisfaction. These consequences are unfair, which is why laws have been enacted to handle sexual harassment and protect victims.
What Should I Do If I Have Been Harassed?
If you have been the victim of sexual harassment, there are a few things you should do:
- Try to resolve the issue with the person who is harassing you. If the behavior is coming from a coworker, you may be able to talk to them directly and ask them to stop.
- If you are not comfortable talking to the person who is harassing you, or if the behavior does not stop, you should report it to your supervisor or human resources department.
- You should also keep a record of the harassment, including dates, times, and witnesses. This can be helpful if you decide to file a claim.
- Finally, you should contact a Santa Ana sexual harassment attorney to discuss your legal options.
What Are the Time Limits for Filing a Sexual Harassment Claim?
It is important to note that there are time limits for filing a sexual harassment claim. In California, you have one year from the date of the last incident of harassment to file a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). If you do not file a claim with the EEOC, you cannot file a lawsuit in court.
What Is Retaliation?
It is illegal for an employer to retaliate against an employee for reporting sexual harassment. This means if you report sexual harassment, your employer cannot take any action against you in retaliation, such as demoting you or firing you. If your employer does take retaliatory action against you, you may have a claim for retaliation.
What Evidence Is Needed to Prove Sexual Harassment?
There are a few different types of evidence that can be used to prove sexual harassment, including:
- Witness testimony. This can be from coworkers, friends, or family members who saw or heard the harassment take place.
- Documentation. This can include emails, text messages, and other written communications that contain harassing language.
- Video or audio recordings. Some of the best forms of evidence are audio or video recordings of the harassment taking place. This is because they can be played back in court and provide direct evidence of the harassment.
- Physical evidence. This can include items like clothing that was damaged during an assault or photos of bruises or other injuries.
Working with an experienced Santa Ana sexual harassment lawyer can help you gather the evidence you need to prove your claim.
Q: What is often considered sexual harassment in the workplace?
A: Sexual harassment in the workplace can take many forms. It can include unwelcome sexual advances, propositions, or requests for sexual favors, unwanted touching or hugging, sexually explicit comments or jokes, and leering or staring.
Q: Which laws apply to sexual harassment?
A: Both state and federal laws apply to sexual harassment. In California, the primary law is the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA).
Q: Who can be held liable for sexual harassment?
A: In most cases, the harasser can be held liable for sexual harassment. However, in some cases, the employer may also be held liable.
Q: Can you sue for sexual harassment in California?
A: Yes. If you have tragically been the victim of sexual harassment, you can file a claim with the EEOC or file a lawsuit in court.
Q: What are the time limits for filing a sexual harassment claim in California?
A: In California, you have one year from the date of the last incident of harassment to file a claim with the EEOC. If you do not file a claim with the EEOC, you will not be able to file a lawsuit in court.
Contact the Law Offices of Corbett H. Williams Today
Sexual harassment is terrible regardless of where it happens, but it is particularly egregious in the workplace. If you have been a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, it is important to know that you have rights. At the Law Offices of Corbett H. Williams, our experienced Santa Ana sexual harassment lawyers can help you assert your rights and get the compensation you deserve. We operate on the notion that every client deserves individualized attention and care. Our attorneys work closely with you to help you understand your legal options and ensure your rights are protected.
Contact us today to begin consultation on your potential sexual harassment lawsuit and learn more. We look forward to speaking with you and accelerating your claim.
If you believe you have a legitimate claim of workplace retaliation, Corbett H. Williams is fully prepared to fight for any compensation you rightfully deserve. Cases dealing with unfair workplace actions may seem daunting, but Corbett has had experience with both sides of these issues and knows how to handle these types of cases. Don’t hesitate to call the office at 877-304-7066 to schedule a free case analysis.